Sunday, January 27, 2013

Summit # 27 - Blood Mountain, GA


I headed up to one of Georgia's most famous peaks this morning and enjoyed 5 mile out and back to the summit of Blood Mountain. At 4,458 feet it is the highest point on the Georgia section of the Appalachian Trail and the sixth highest peak in the state. I was excited to have a clear, cold day to take some pictures at the summit with my Nikon DSLR until I reached the top and realized that I had foolishly failed to charge the battery before leaving home. Hence the grainy, blurry cell phone pictures you will see below. They will give you some idea of how beautiful it is on the summit on a clear day anyways. On the bright side I have an excuse to head back up there with a fully charged camera (not that I needed one). I had my first good fall of the year today - a tumbling, thundering, arms and legs flailing embarassment of a fall. My first reaction was to be sure that I didn't manage to actually injure myself (I didn't, if you don't count my ego) and my second was to look around and see if there was anyone around that had seen my glorious tumble (thankfully there wasn't). I thought for a second my dog Jax may have been laughing but I figured the secret was good with him. Of course I'm blabbering about it on the internet so I guess it's not a secret anyways.


The AT winds it's way up Blood Mtn.

one of many great views from the summit

Blood Mountain shelter, built in 1933


I got a nice chuckle from this
One of us got a nice nap on the way home

No comments:

Post a Comment