Sunday, January 13, 2013

Summit # 14 - Springer Mountain (1-13-2013)


I woke up early this morning and made the 90 minute drive up to Springer Mountain, a 3,782 foot peak that makes up the southern terminus of the famous Appalachian Trail. On a clear day there are great views from the summit but today was foggy and drizzly. I was grateful to have the short mile-long hike up to the summit all to myself (I suppose the Atlanta Falcons playoff game later in the afternoon may have had something to do with that). The plaque and first of an estimated 160,000 white blazes announces the start of the trail that travels 2,179 miles north to Mt. Katahdin in Maine.






AT Trail Register

Had to make my own entry in the register

First few steps on the trail descending from the summit

Springer Mtn. Shelter near the summit




No comments:

Post a Comment