Sunday, February 10, 2013

Summit # 43 - Tray Mountain, GA


Tray Mountain, GA - Elev. 4,430 ft.

I woke up early this morning and took a trip up to Tray Mountain, the seventh highest peak in Georgia. It was a balmy 50 degrees when I left my house in Marietta, but by the time I had reached the parking area at Tray Gap the temperature had dropped to near-freezing and the wind had picked up quite a bit. Luckily my laziness from the night before paid off as I had an extra jacket in the truck. Jax and I climbed up the AT to the peak in no time and were rewarded with clear views of the Nantahalas to the north and the rest of the North Georgia mountains to the south. We hung out for a bit and headed back, Jax sleeping in the backseat and me debating where to stop and eat in the front (a pizza place in nearby Helen, GA won that debate). 

the view south from the Tray Mountain summit



North Carolina mountains to the north

the AT switchbacks its way down the mountain
obligatory dog picture


headwaters of the nearby Chattahoochee River


No comments:

Post a Comment